Thursday, January 24, 2013

MARKUS LUPFER INSPIRED DIY VAMPIRE LIPS SWEATER


MARKUS LUPFER INSPIRED DIY VAMPIRE LIPS SWEATER

I’ve been drooling over this Markus Lupfer vampire sequin sweater for a few months. It’s such a statement piece and a great choice to fill the void in your fall novelty sweater department. But at $460, it was out of my price range— but not out of my reach if I resorted to making one myself. Follow these simple instructions to get your own!

A plain sweater: mine is from Target, here is another great option
Fabric paint or Tailor’s Chalk (depending on how confident you are in your drawing skills)
Sequins: 3.75 yds medium pink, 1 yd hot pink, 1.5 yds white, 0.75 yds black, 1.25 yds light pink
Fabric Glue 

Start by drawing an outline of the mouth with fabric paint or tailor’s chalk. I drew mine in color sections (so it looks kind of like paint-by-numbers). Apply a line of glue around the edges and lay a strip of sequins down, working your way inside layer by layer and trim the excess. Do this for all the colors. I found it helpful around the corners and in the tighter areas to hold one part of the strand down with tweezers and twist the strand where I wanted it to go with my other hand. When the glue is dry, you can sew down the sequins in some areas here and there for added security.
I ended up paying less than $30 for this project and loved how it turned out. Compare it to the amazingMarkus Lupfer version and it’s a pretty good match! (You can see the non-vampire version here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment